Sunday, January 02, 2011

Hatch Collection of Black Cloth Dolls made between 1870 and 1920

I have written before about these extraordinary vintage cloth dolls of yesteryear's,

I adore and just love the "Hatch Collection" of Black Cloth Dolls " I decided to try my hand at re-creating them,I have been doing as much research as I can about Hatch Collection cloth dolls, Concentrating on their Black Cloth Dolls,
Here is what I have discovered about the history of Pat Hatch and her awesome collections of Black Cloth Dolls.
also be sure to read and learn more about "Black Cloth Dolls":Past Exhibits
The Harvard Historical Society, Harvard, MA
Spring 2007Exhibit Catalogue
Hatch Collection of Black Cloth Dolls
Description: Hatch Collection of Black Cloth Dolls Black cloth dolls started appearing in flea markets and antique shops in the 1960s. At the time they represented an anomaly in our cultural awareness as a nation, since black dolls of any kind were very much the exception rather than the rule. The black cloth dolls in the Hatch collection reflect a by gone period of American craftsmanship, which included the sewing skills of women, and particularly those of African American women. Pat Hatch started collecting black cloth dolls thirty-five years ago, and now has well over a hundred dolls. Most of the dolls were made between 1870 and 1920. They are extraordinary, all handmade and one-of-a-kind, with an expressiveness that takes one by surprise, never stylized in any way.
I am excited about recreating my own yesteryear Black Cloth Doll,Making her as special as I can in a authentic way! What a blessing it is to start this new year already in excitement and creating!!





4 comments:

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

These are absolutely wonderful dolls!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting Sherrie...I too love black dolls...I want to learn more and will visit the site. Love your dolls!
patti

SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren said...

Hi Robin Hi Patti Thank You so much for your comments, I am doing in-depth study and research on Real Antique Cloth Dolls and Black Cloth dolls, and will be posting my finds, I feel their is so much we as doll makers can learn from the past of these wonderful and almost forgotten dolls, I want to re create starting by learning their body shapes and along with questions of why they were create like they were and also history , what was happing during their time, I feel it's their threads that has made America/ History as we are today..See I feel even through what we call simpler times, There still was wars and sickness allot to over come,Yet through it these dolls to me at least still hold their love and bring yet to this day peace and joy also.I wonder is it in their simple forms? Are they really simples forms? lets find out!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sherrie,

I also would love to learn the history of Black dolls; who made them and participating in the recreation. Thank you for your tireless research into the world of old dolls and their histories

hugz
Pam