Saturday, September 20, 2008

Technique of burnt brown paper bag


With Fall almost here I would like to give a Gold Nugget/Technique..This technique can be used for so many wonderful creations,I was thinking making Fall leaves..

I did NOT come up with this gold nugget . I have saved nuggets for years ...I do try to always get the author of them to give proper credit ...on this gold nugget I did not get the author. So sorry . If some one knows who the artists is please let me know so I can give proper credit.
Who Done it: Oh! I've seen this technique before...I think it was on the Alene's show (remember that back in the day on HGTV?) So I think it was either Alene or her daughter who thought this up
This is SO neat and SO interesting:
Technique of burnt brown paper bag
1. glue 2 pieces of brown bag (grocery bag is fine) together with Aleenes glue in the gold bottle. let dry for 1/2 hour or so..
2. cut the shape you want from this, spread one side with the glue, covering entire side, hold this side into a candle flame and let it burn...it will turn black and bubbly. this part is kind of tricky and could be dangerous if you aren't careful, if it flames a little that is okay, makes more depth to shape. I usually hold this piece with needle nose pliers. Repeat for other side of shape.

3. when finished with the burning, lightly rub off the soot with paper towel. I then usually take gold paint on my finger tip and lightly dab it to achieve a burnished look. I have seen them use different colors of paint to get different looks such as a patina finish, etc.

That's it !!! It really is foolproof - if you miss a spot in burning, you can go over it with more glue and re-burn. It might take some practice getting used to the burning of the glue but so far I haven't had any disasters. I like the look for stars or small wings, looks like tarnished gold or brass. Can look like rusted metal depending on the colors of paint you use.
Acrylic paints are used, by the way.
These will make beautiful leaves, butterflies, suns, moons, flowers too, because it can be gently shaped to give it dimension. All you need is a grocery bag!

4 comments:

vivian said...

This sounds very interesting.. IM not sure I totally understood your directions, but I will reread them later more carefully!!
hugs!
vivian

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oh! I've seen this technique before...I think it was on the Alene's show (remember that back in the day on HGTV?) So I think it was either Alene or her daughter who thought this up (?)

It's very cool and thanks for bringing it back to memory!

Smiles, Karen

SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren said...

alrighty!!!Thanks Karen for the info on who done it! I really like the technique and will give credit now that we know who done it!
((Hugs )) Sherrie

SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren said...

Howdy Hey vivian! I know it does sound a bit confusing,Just print it out ,Thats what I did and it makes it a bit more clear.Good seeing you and my goodness you have been a bust artist kiddo Have been enjoying your beautys on flickr and your blog wowzer!